“I am dedicated to compassionately and ardently assisting clients as we intelligently navigate their challenges toward successful outcomes within the family law system. My decades of experience and in-depth knowledge of statewide family law matters are vital assets for those who choose to work with me.”
Ruth Laura Edlund has nearly thirty years of progressive litigation experience, with an emphasis in family law for over twenty years. Prior to joining Wechsler Becker in 2007, Ruth practiced at large law firms in New York City and Seattle, and worked as a Special Deputy Prosecutor for the King County Prosecutor’s Office. For a brief period she was an in-house corporate attorney, then spent seven years as the managing attorney of the Family Law Mentor Program of the King County Bar Association. She was also a sole practitioner for five years.
In her early career, Ruth was a research assistant for two professors at Columbia and upon graduation from law school, she clerked for the late Honorable James M. Sprouse, United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. In recognition of her achievements, The New York State Bar Association granted Ruth a President’s Pro Bono Award in 1986 for her activities for The Legal Aid Society in New York City.
Ruth is a respected member and past chair of The Family Law Section of both the King County and Washington State Bar Associations. She is passionate about assisting lawyers new to the practice of family law by mentoring attorneys in the Young Lawyers Division. When not lawyering or parenting her own two children, Ruth enjoys performing flamenco and Spanish classical dance at various venues in Puget Sound.
- Washington State Bar Association, 1987
- U. S. District Court, Western District of Washington, 2001
- State of Washington, U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington and U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 1987
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 1985
- New York and U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1984
- Columbia University, Juris Doctor, 1983. Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar; Lawrence A. Wien Scholarship
- Bryn Mawr College, A.B., magna cum laude with departmental honors, 1980
Polish, Russian and English
Professional & Community Associations
- Member, King County Bar Association, Family Law Section; Officer, 2002 – 2005; and former Chair.
- Member, Washington State Bar Association, Family Law Section; Family Law Executive Committee, 2008 – 2011; Chair, 2010 – 2011
- Member, Ad Hoc Local Family Law Rules Committee, 2007
Awards & Recognitions
- President’s Pro Bono Award, New York State Bar Association, 1985
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- “The Seven Deadly Subjects.”
- “Family Law Basics.” (2004)
- “Parenting Responsibility in Washington State.” (2005)
- “Developing Your Family Law Practice.”
- “Ethical Considerations in Relationship Agreements.” (2006)
- “Development of Parenting Plans.” (2007)
- “A Roadmap Through Dissolution Proceedings.” (2008)
- “Drafting Good Declarations.”
- “Division of Property and Parenting Plans.”
- “Beyond the Mandatory Forms: Drafting Clear and Effective Parenting Plans.”
- “Family Law Judicial Forum.”
- “Your Family Law Practice in the 21st Century.”
- “Current Events for Family Lawyers.” (2010)